There will be no school beginning Wednesday, November 21st-23rd. We will observe the Thanksgiving holiday. Students and staff will return Monday, November 26, 2012.
Greetings Parents of May Howard Hawks! Thank you so much for your support during the first nine weeks of school! We have been quite busy making sure that our students get off to a great start. With that comes a great deal so I want to highlight what has taken place at school thus far:
- Successful Open House
- Students equitably distributed throughout school due to new maximum class size for Advance Content Model and due to increased enrollment counts at May Howard (notified at Open House)
- Tremendous turn out to first PTA technology Open House Night
- DIBELS reading Assessment administered to all K-1 graders
- MAP math assessment administered to all 2-5th graders
- SRI reading assessment administered to all 2-5th graders
- OAS science assessment administered to all 3-5th graders
- ITBS test administered to 3rd and 5th graders
- Common Core Georgia Performance Standards being taught (please see link on other post)
- Differentiation in Reading and Mathematics taking place in K-5th grade
- Successful start to Book Fair with a tea for our grandparents
May Howard is committed to teaching and learning at high levels. The rigorous curriculum and ongoing assessments drive our instruction and informs our differentiation in the classroom. ALL students will excel. The faculty and staff of MHE remains committed to seeing all of our students college and career ready!
Some events coming soon:
- Curriculum Nights (this will give our parents an understanding of the Common Core curriculum and will allow them an opportunity to be actively engaged in the process)
- Coffee and Conversation: A time to sit as a small group and discuss the school as a whole with the principal.
- Volunteers Matter Sessions: This will be a time to find out what is needed at MHE and how you can support our efforts at the school.
- Book Room Initiative Group: This will be a small group that will assist in the effort of creating a book room for our teachers. This book room will consist of leveled readers, guides and other resources that teachers can use to enhance student learning. Parents will donate used books and help with gaining new books that address the Common Core curriculum.
Thanks for all of your support!
Georgia has joined 44 other states, the District of Columbia (D.C.), and 2 territories, along with the Department of Defense Education Activity, in formally adopting a set of core standards for kindergarten through high school in English language arts, mathematics, and grades 6-12 literacy in science, history/social studies, and technical subjects. The Common Core Georgia Performance Standards (CCGPS) provide a consistent framework to prepare students for success in college and/or the 21st century workplace. These standards represent a common sense next step from the Georgia Performance Standards (GPS). Please visit the link to actually review the CCGPS curriculum that your child will be taught this year.
Please review this link to get more information on School Council nominations.
Fall Beautification Day Oct. 6th, 9 am – 2 pm
PTA Dress Down (“Go Team” Day) Oct. 12th
Fall Picture Day, Oct. 24th
Uncle Bubba’s Night Oct. 25th
PTA General Meeting Oct. 26th, 6:30 pm
Fall Book Fair Nov. 2nd-12th